Monday, October 5, 2009

car seats and strollers and diapers, oh my!

It seems that I jumped the gun a little bit with my initial free and cheaply acquired items...While I thought we had carseats covered, it turns out carseats--even if they haven't been in an accident--expire after 5 years, and both of the ones I had are nearly expired.

I had also gotten a secondhand breast pump with the intention of buying new accessories and tubing, only to find out that it is defined as a "single-user" pump, which means that anything carried in the original owners milk could have contaminated the pump and then re-appear when I use it. So if the original owner happened to have HIV, or took some medication that shows up in milk, etc, then it could transfer to Isaac. Not good. So I'm now looking at a brand new pump for the bargain price of nearly $300. Another option is to rent a hospital-grade pump, but it may end up being more cost-effective to just purchase my own. I'll have to look into it and see how much the rental fees are.

Because of these discoveries,
I spent several hours yesterday working on our registries and trying to sort out what will be useful, and what is extraneous, and adding things that I didn't think I needed to register for, but now do. I spent so much time walking around Babies R Us and Target that I think Isaac slept all day, because I hardly felt any kicks at all. He made up for it as soon as I woke up this morning though, by performing a little drum solo on my belly.

I've also been trying to research which brand/type of cloth diapers to get and I've finally decided to just register for a variety of things. It seems like every type I read about had reviews ranging from love it to hate it, depending on the baby. If little pal is long and lean, diapers will fit him differently than if he is chunky, so variety seems to be the way to go right now. I think we are going to do disposable for the first month or so though, because it seems silly to buy cloth diapers in newborn size, just to have him grow out of them right away. I never thought diapers could be so complicated...

No comments:

Post a Comment